Another day, another early journey…We took a taxi to the Cambodian border, crossed the border was harder than we imagined and took a lot longer. This meant our plan to get the train to Bangkok was out of the window, so hopped into a dodgy minibus with a driver that spoke no English. It took him about 7 hours to do a 4 hour journey, but we arrived where we wanted safe and sound. Finally we settled into the hostel and headed off down Khaosan Road for a couple of drinks and some food before bed.
The next day we met a woman that panicked us that we would not be able to get tickets for the overnight train the next day, we did not want to miss the full moon party, so went in search of tickets. Later that day we went on river boat tour to see all the temples and houses on stilts, even though I hate boats – the river was calm so it wasn’t too bad.
After, we then saw the reclining Buddha and witnesses some chanting monks.
For the evening we had tried to plan a trip to a Bangkok Ladyboy show, we booked our tickets and paid online, but it turned out the tickets we had was for a location on the other side of the city, somewhere taxi drivers would not take us to. Absolutely gutted our plan had failed we headed back down Khaosan Road to drown our sorrows.
The next morning we checked out of the hostel then headed off for the day. We spent the day in (air-conned) museums and wandering round the streets of Bangkok. That night we then made our way to the train station for our overnight sleeper train to Koh Phangan.
This was one of the best decisions we made (with persuasion from Pippa before we left – thanks Pip!), as we were going to fly down to the full moon party. Once settled into our seats we resided in the restaurant carriage which turned into a massive party, with lots of dancing to the best selection of 80’s music. It took me until Irene Cara and the YMCA to come on to get into the full swing of the party. Once things had died down we headed back to our seat (which had now turned into beds) to sleep the rest of the journey to Surat Thani station where we would get a bus and a ferry to take us to the party island of Thailand, Koh Phangan.